Thursday, September 2, 2010

Simply Wonderful

Here are some easy shortkeys that I at least will be using quite a bit in these blogs:

These next ones are called "character entities". Basically they are symbols not accessible in on the keyboard. In Word©, they are under "insert symbol". For Web-based pages where this menu is unavailable, though, these codes can be easily entered to add the symbol. They must be entered while editing the HTML coding, not text. For most commercial postings, like Blogger, there is an "edit HTML" button or option somewhere in the editor, quite easily accessible.

Copyright (©) - type © or ©
Registered Trademark (as in a company) (®) - type ® or ®
Trademark (something with a pending trademark registration) (™) - ™ or ™

*Note: The code containing the name may not be supported on some web services. If they do not work, try the code containing the number. Most web services will recognize the number even if they don't recognize the name.
**Also: If you try the code and it doesn't work with either name or number, make sure you don't forget the semi-colon at the end. If this doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you; that's one of those questions to pose to a computer-savvy person, or search for it online.

If you have need of any other entities, you can easily find complete lists online.

One function I will be using quite a bit, and something I find truly helpful everyday is called "print screen". When I was in high school, I thought you had to have a camera program to take a picture of the computer screen. I spent late hours, long into the night on my Dad's computer because his was the only one in our house with a screenshot camera. If only I had known that most, if not all keyboards these days come with a "printscreen" button! This button is generally found in the upper right-hand corner of the keyboard, and is either a separate button (as with desktop keyboards) or a function (Fn) key (as with laptops). Function keys are accessed by holding down the Fn key (bottom left-hand corner) and pressing the appropriate main key (in my case, it's the "end" button that doubles as "printscreen").
This button is a fantastic little feature that takes a picture of your screen just as you see it (minus the pointer, which it erases for some reason). It saves the screen as a picture and places it on your clipboard. All you have to do is go into Word© or PowerPoint© and paste it into a document (Ctrl v). Then you can edit it with the normal Microsoft® picture editing functions. To use it, right-click it and save it as a picture (you may need to copy/paste it into PowerPoint© in order to save it as a picture. I sometimes have trouble doing that in Word.) You can then treat it like any, normal picture in your library. I truly use this feature at least once a week, if not more often (and that was before I started this blog).

As of now, that's all the handy shortcuts I can think of. When I think of more, I'll post them. I will also post a comprehensive list of all the Excel shortkeys (which I use regularly) that I know of.

Check back for more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment